Bisque Bar & Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 622 8163
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am.
- Food served Sun–Thu 7am–9pm; Fri/Sat 7am–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times 5–7.45pm
- Average price £11.90 (set lunch); £19.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.bisquebar.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
There are few external signs to reveal that tucked away inside the Bruntsfield Hotel is Bisque Bar and Brasserie. Multiple entrances lead into a cosy bar area, where televisions show news and sports coverage. Further through is the main brasserie space, which on the whole manages not to feel like a chain hotel’s dining room, and attracts a mixture of hotel residents and locals, particularly when the weather allows the use of the popular garden area. The eponymous seafood bisque starter is rich, peppery and warming. One of the menu highlights is the rhubarb chutney, homemade from seasonal fruits from the chef’s garden, which accompanies a juicy pheasant and venison terrine. Mains include plenty of obvious choices – burgers, steak, battered fish – but dishes like roast pork belly with a crispy skin atop melting fat showcase an appreciation of good ingredients. For those who can find room for a dessert, the sharing plate features a slightly soft but nonetheless enjoyable tarte tatin, a sharp and moist red berry sponge pudding and a rich vanilla creme brûlée.
- High point: A surprisingly enjoyable dining experience
- Low point: Some tables are better situated than others
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 26
- Private dining: 70-80
- No. overnight rooms: 69
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Very easy listening, jazz, 60s/70s/80s playlists
- Capacity: 60-80, plus 40-50 in bar area
- Largest group: 54
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £16.30 per bottle