- Telephone 0131 524 3252
- Bar open Sun–Thu 9am–midnight; Fri/Sat 9am-1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 8am–10pm.
- Average price £9 (lunch); £9 (evening meal)
- Website www.smartcityhostels.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Situated in among the pubs and clubs of the Cowgate, Bar 50 is an ideal place for students and backpackers to relax over a pint and a game of pool during the day, or kick start a great night out on a budget. With large pitchers of cocktails for under a tenner, cheap pints and great value food to line your stomach, a session here certainly won’t break the bank. During the day and early evening, Bar 50 tends to be quieter and, it being part of a youth hostel, children and teenagers are welcome, and a high chair is available on request, providing a convenient pit-stop for holidaying families. An uncomplicated, unpretentious venue, Bar 50 is great for fans of the no-frills approach.
- High point: Excellent value for money
- Low point: Lacking in ambience
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2010
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle