Xanadu Chinese Restaurant
- Telephone 0131 661 8981
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–11pm; Fri noon–2pm, 5-11pm; Sat/Sun 5–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Fri 5–9pm
- Average price £5.90 (set lunch); £14.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.90
- Website www.xanadurestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Husband and wife team Colin and Irene Chiu run this friendly neighbourhood restaurant perched just off the main road through Meadowbank. Named after an emperor’s summer palace, Xanadu’s own decor is simple and functional with Chinese scenes on the pale blue walls and wipe-clean cloths on the tables. On the menu you’ll find all the familiar dishes with a few dim sum options and mainly seafood specials to add some variety. The prawn dumplings are gleaming juicy mouthfuls while hong shao fish – a steaming earthenware pot filled with fried haddock, char siu pork and vegetables in a rich gravy-like sauce – is full of umami goodness. Other dishes don’t stand out, although cooked well. A two-course ‘tea time’ menu for £9.90 is served till 9pm, excluding Saturdays, and you can BYOB (although the wine list is very reasonably priced), making Xanadu a good budget choice. It may not be the ‘stately pleasure-dome’ of Coleridge’s famous poem, but Xanadu is a decent, family-run restaurant that knows how to keep its regulars coming back for more.
- High point: Everything freshly cooked to order
- Low point: 20 minutes' walk from the city centre
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Delivery: £1.50
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Quiet Chinese instrumentals
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 2006
- House wine: £11.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £4 corkage
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Xanadu Chinese Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments