- Telephone 0141 248 2481
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm; Sat noon–10pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Available at all times, must be booked
- Average price £12.50 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.50
- Website www.piccolomondo.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Being greeted at a reception desk and following a suited maître d’ into a high-ceiling restaurant with plush carpets and white linen is not too common an experience in modern day Glasgow. There’s a sense of grandeur emanating from every part of the restaurant, which is popular for business lunches and offers excellent value in its ‘celebration menu’. The wine selection is to be marvelled at. With its own sommelier handpicking over 250 bottles, there’s something for every taste and every budget. Food is classically Italian. To start, stuffed mushroom are huge, crisply fried balls packed with cheese and ham. Pasta dishes include linguine alla marinara, which delivers a peppery, creamy sauce with satisfying chunks of prawns. A seared chicken breast, meanwhile, sits on a bed of spinach in a sweet tomato sauce with crisp roast potatoes – though saffron rice seems an unnecessary inclusion. Surprisingly, desserts lack imagination and bite though this is a minor blemish on a venue that holds a charm which radiates throughout.
- High point: Classic dining experience
- Low point: Desserts seem something of an afterthought
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 20
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: classical piano
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2006
- House wine: £17.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Piccolo Mondo./5 from RSS feed of these comments