- Telephone 0131 226 3675
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.30pm, 5.30–10.30pm; Sun 5.30–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 5.30–7pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £15.95
- Website www.ruanthai.co.uk
Jump to comments (7)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
In a new home or a restaurant, basements have a reputation for being filled with flotsam and jetsam, with just the occasional gem showing up how a well an underground space can be used – Ruan Siam is one such space. While intimate, fairy-lit nooks will appeal to couples in search of a romantic spot, the menu should attract all comers. Inventive twists on Thai classics are underpinned by a proud focus on sourcing meat and fish from local suppliers. Seafood lychee is a bold, but brilliant main dish. Combining the aromatics of fresh lychees with the fiery kick of red curry brings out the best in succulent prawns and scallops. Tord num pla is a tasty, if slightly stodgy, take on Thai fishcakes, but the green papaya salad, som tum, is a palate cleansing delight, with just the right balance of sweet and sour. With a flat 15% off the main menu for takeaway and well priced set menus at lunch and pre-theatre, Ruan Siam is a lovely balance of cosy nightspot and affordable neighbourhood haunt.
- High point: Top quality, locally sourced seafood
- Low point: Risk of cracking your head on the sloping stone ceiling
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Delivery: Free for orders over £15. 15% discount on menu price.
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz
- Capacity: 46
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2005
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 6 reviews of Ruan Siam./5 from RSS feed of these comments