The Storytelling Café
- Telephone 0131 556 1229
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–5pm. Jul–Sep: Sun noon–5pm. Oct–Jun: Closed Sun. [Extended in Festival].
- Average price £10 (lunch)
- Website www.scottishstorytellingcentre.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The best seat in the Storytelling Cafe is by the horizontal window overlooking the Royal Mile. With a mid-size theatre on the premises and an emphasis on history and oral tradition, this multi-genre venue offers crafts and storytelling workshops as well as dance, literature and theatre events, all of which peaks during Festival time. The cafe is to the side of an exhibition space and its sturdy wooden tables and chairs evoke a cosy atmosphere. One might expect bold and colourful dishes on the menu since this is a place of storytelling, but the reality is fairly muted. Alongside a kids' menu and a changing daily special, the cafe features mainly cold dishes such as salads, deli sandwiches and a few mezze platters. The cafe aims to set itself apart from the pack with on-premises baking, resulting in a wide selection of tarts, brownies and biscuits complemented by a strong Americano. This all makes for a good stopping point on the tourist trail although the menu is rather limited.
- High point: Custard tarts
- Low point: There is only one, non-vegetarian lunch special
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 52
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2009
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of The Storytelling Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments