- Telephone 0141 332 5495
- Food served Sun–Thu 4.30pm–midnight; Fri/Sat 4.30pm–4am
- Typical order aloo chana puri (£3.50); Ceylonese korma inc. rice (£6.95)
- Website www.balticlub.co.uk
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This long-standing takeaway, with a few stools inside, serves up a range of pakora, curries and grills, as well as standard burgers and pizzas and other crowd-pleasers like kebabs (the naan-wrapped king chicken tikka kebab is a winner). The Indian dishes are as good as many of the city’s curryhouses – better in numerous cases. Strange, enticing pakora are a speciality – try the brie and spinach, mozzarella and cashew, or cauliflower and cheese; or opt for a puri, delivered still light and airy with a fresh and vibrant aloo chana topping coming separate. Thirty-odd mains include butter masalas, saags, kormas and biryanis. South Indian garlic chilli chicken is hot, fruity and packed with fresh pepper and green chilli, while a rich, subtle cumin-spiced Ceylonese korma is boosted by generous amounts of cream and a tang of cloves. Prices are great value for the quality on offer, and staff make you feel like a regular after you've been in once.
Catering for the post-pub, post-party or just stumbled out of a club crowd, Balti Club is top of the speed dial if you want, or perhaps need, a vat of curry, 12-inch meat feast and two litres of Irn Bru delivered at 4am. While the vivid colours of their diverse pakora selection suggest a heavy hand with the chilli powder, this is purely cosmetic and the surprisingly delicate spicing should be gentle enough on the most queasy of stomachs. The range of traditional curries are worth sampling, though some of the gentler offerings may lack the flavour power to punch through the fog of inebriation. Portions are notably large so there may well be plenty left over for a spicy breakfast.
- High point: Takeaway curries of distinction
- Low point: Deciding which pakora to have
- Delivery: £1.50–£2.50. Deliver to west end.
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: TV tuned to pop music station.
- Capacity: 6
- Open since: 2005
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of Balti Club./5 from RSS feed of these comments