Karen Wong's Chinese Restaurant
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 662 0777
- Food served Wed–Mon 4–11pm. Closed Tue.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 4–8pm, Fri/Sat 4–6pm
- Average price £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.45
- Website www.karenwongchineserestaurant.co.uk
Jump to or comments (4)
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Karen Wong is the name above the door and, unsurprisingly, the host’s personality is front and centre of this cosy Southside restaurant. The warm welcome and attentive service has been rewarded with a loyal clientele who return time after time since the restaurant opened its doors in 2005. The prices, too, are very reasonable, with a pre-theatre menu available most nights and a range of good-value banquets on offer. The sit-in menu is extensive, and while it may offer few surprises, the cooking is of a consistently high standard with sauces augmented by generous helpings of crunchy vegetables. It’s a good idea to start with a sharing plate, such as the crispy combination platter, which features won tons, spring rolls and tasty, sticky chicken wings, or the wonderful crispy aromatic duck served with cucumber, spring onions, pancakes and hoi sin sauce. Of the mains, the honey chicken arrives tender with a sweet glaze that’s offset by a good kick of spice, while juicy king prawns are served with cashews in a yellow bean sauce that complements rather than smothers the taste of the fish. The dessert selection is underwhelming but you’re unlikely to have much spare capacity in any case.
- High point: Great value food and friendly, attentive service
- Low point: No big surprises on the menu
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Piano versions of soft rock classics
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 2005
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Karen Wong's Chinese Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments