- Telephone 0131 225 6490
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11.30am–1am; 11.30am–11pm
- Bar open Sun–Thu 11am–midnight; Fri/Sat 11am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–9pm; Sun noon–8pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £10 (evening meal)
- Website www.standardbar.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the 2011 edition.
With four large TV screens this is a popular location for watching live sports, especially rugby internationals when free pies are served during half time. The decor has a 1930s American feel with fixed red leather seats, deco-style lights and framed pictures of Hollywood stars, staying just about the right side of a theme bar feel. There are plans to increase the range of the menu during 2011 but the focus remains very much on offering comfort food standards and decent value. Burgers, steak sandwiches, mushroom soup and nachos may not carve any new culinary ground but are at least all delivered competently – more than can be said for much of the competition on nearby George Street. Similarly the drinks list is fairly standard with Amstel and Peroni the only slightly different draught beers. Soup and sandwiches for £5 at lunch combine with specials on the weekend and roasts to complete a reliable offering at this conveniently located venue.
- High point: Popular with live-sports fans
- Low point: Can get very crowded
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Up to 80 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Outdoor tables, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Live sports on TV by day; jazz/contemporary at night
- Capacity: 55
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2005
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle