- Telephone 0131 476 5333
- Opening times Tue–Sun noon–1am
- Bar open Tue–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–11pm; Sun noon –10pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–3pm, 5.30–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tues–Sun 5.30–6.30pm
- Average price £12 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price 20% off full price a la carte menu
- Website www.theiglu.com
Jump to comments (11)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The name suggests Arctic chill but inside is a warm, softly lit bar, with exposed brickwork and book-lined shelves. The main restaurant is upstairs but food is served in both areas. Celebrated for being an ecologically sustainable restaurant (they boast three stars from the Sustainable Restaurant Association), produce is ethically sourced and mostly organic, with a short menu focused on seasonal foods. Pretty pink smudges of salmon prepared three ways come with a Freedom Foods certification; a dainty dish of wood pigeon is given a contemporary twist with the addition of spicy popcorn. The sweetness of Borders lamb is enhanced by dabs of vegetable purées, while a venison steak gains an earthy savour with a mixture of roots. The puddings produce the biggest surprises: a dense cheesecake flecked with bitter chocolate is presented in a kilner jar, and a sweet panna cotta comes laid out in a long slab. The atmosphere is informal, as groups of casually dressed friends mull over the list of artisan liqueurs, malts and Black Isle beers on tap.
- High point: Ethical, local, sustainable sourcing
- Low point: Rhubarb liqueur had sold out
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Private dining: Up to 30 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Folk, pop
- Capacity: 54 (30 upstairs / 24 ground floor)
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2001
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of Iglu./5 from RSS feed of these comments