The Mussel and Steak Bar
- Telephone 0131 225 5028
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.45pm, 6–10pm; Fri–Sun noon–10pm.
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £25 (evening meal)
- Website www.musselandsteakbar.com
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
In a part of town trying hard to shake its ‘stags & hens’ image, the Mussel and Steak bar treads a fine line between giving tourists what they want and serving up decent Scottish produce. There are a lot of happy marriages – surf with turf, scallops with chorizo, mussels with chillies – and a commendable focus on sourcing, particularly on the steaks which are aged for 38 days (and it shows). That said, you could be forgiven for wishing the kitchen would cut loose a teeny bit and fling something a touch more unexpected into the mix. That’s not to say what’s there isn’t good – it is. The aged steak really is meltingly tender; the accompanying side of braised cabbage is actual genius; a hefty portion of mussels are bright with lime and satisfyingly nippy with chilli (though inexplicably served without bread). It’s all served up in a contemporary setting by cheerful staff, making Mussel and Steak a reliable choice, even if you are one of those locals who normally won't set foot in the Grassmarket from March to October.
- High point: Dependable cooking showcasing Scottish produce
- Low point: No need for a telly in the dining room, even if it is showing restaurant promos
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 24
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Classic pop
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 25
- Open since: 2005
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of The Mussel and Steak Bar./5 from RSS feed of these comments