- Telephone 0131 226 5877
- Food served Tue–Sun 5.30–10.30pm. Closed Mon.
- Average price £16 (lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Website www.singthai.co.uk
Jump to comments (5)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Sporting a fresh lick of paint and a new menu, Sing Thai sits at the top of a small flight of steps in Stockbridge’s cosmopolitan St. Stephen’s Street. Run by a husband and wife team, this cosy restaurant has built up a strong reputation with locals for its warm welcome and genuine Thai cooking. A starter of king prawns with garlic and black pepper wrapped in rice pastry is served with a sweet chilli dip and arrives at the table with a startling complement of intricately carved vegetables. Mains of duck stir fried with green beans, bamboo shoots, lime leaves and chilli garlic in a red curry paste, and a hot beef curry featuring red chillis and an unusual root herb called grachi are bang full of flavour and big enough portions to satisfy. These big flavours emanate from a small kitchen, which ensures that ingredients are regularly sourced and super-fresh, however bought-in Italian desserts offer an incongruous end to a traditional Thai meal. Climb the steps anyway, and Sing Thai from the heights.
- High point: Big flavours from a small kitchen
- Low point: No option to try any Thai desserts
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- Provides: Children's portions
- Music on stereo: Thai pop music.
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 2005
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £2.50 corkage (Tue–Thu only)
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Sing Thai./5 from RSS feed of these comments