The Sorn Inn
- Telephone 01290 551305
- Opening times Tue–Fri noon–2.30pm, 6–8.30pm; Sat noon–9pm; Sun 12.30–7pm
- Bar open Tue–Thu noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Fri noon–2.30pm, 6pm–midnight; Sat noon–midnight; Sun noon–10pm. Closed Mon.
- Food served Tue–Fri noon–2pm, 6–9pm; Sat noon–9pm; Sun 12.30–8pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Fri 6–7pm
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.sorninn.com
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
For out-of-towners it’s a find, for locals it’s a given. Regardless of the factors involved in getting there, the Sorn Inn is well worth the trip and the numerous awards that adorn its walls. Chef and owner Craig Grant has put together a menu that reflects creativity and a passion for fresh, seasonal local ingredients. The staff have an infectious enthusiasm that elevates the simple country pub surroundings to a different level. A starter of smoked haddock risotto balls with quail’s egg, apple salad and curry mayonnaise dances on the tongue, while a flavoursome lentil soup holds a steady beat. Mains include venison bourguignonne with parsley pasta and bacon foam and, for the vegetarians, spiced aubergine and olive strudel with mint cous cous and tomato chutney. The specials are always worth checking out – Grant has a wonderful way with calves’ liver – and the steaks don’t disappoint. Stick around for dessert and dig into the banana and pecan nut bread pudding or the waffles and ice cream with butterscotch sauce.
- High point: Inventive menu
- Low point: Cramped car park
The Sorn Inn is located in the lovely Ayrshire village of Sorn, convenient for local shoots in season and fishing on the River Ayr with fishing permits available locally. We are also in comfortable driving distance of all the world famous links golf courses on the Ayrshire coastline, such as Royal Troon, Turnberry, Prestwick and Gailes. Our most convenient airport is Prestwick only 30 minutes by car and Glasgow Airport is 45 minutes by car.We feature in the Michelin 2011 Red Guide with the distinction of a 'Bib Gourmand' which we have held for 6 years. We also feature in the Michelin 'Eating Out in Pubs and Inns Guide' with a distinction of 2011 Inspectors ChoiceWe are now featuring a completely new style of menu, a fusion of fine dining and brassiere style food available both in the Chop House and Restaurant, using the best seasonal and local fresh ingredients available.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- Private dining: Up to 15 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 4
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Soft classics/pop
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 55
- Open since: 2002
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Sorn Inn./5 from RSS feed of these comments