The Baked Potato Shop
- Telephone 0131 225 7572
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–8pm.
- Average price £7 (lunch); £7 (evening meal)
- Typical order Medium baked potato with chilli (£3.60)
Jump to comments (4)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The founder may have retired two years ago, but new management are sticking to the Baked Potato Shop’s thirty-year mission to provide the ‘hottest tattie in town’. Proving hot doesn’t always mean beefy, they’re entirely veggie and vegan to the point of giving a 10% discount to vegetarian and animal rights group members. Tiffin and cakes are made on site, including a warming, seed-packed carrot cake that’s by no means just for vegans, and they’re known for their excellent veggie samosas. But of course the main attraction is that oven packed with crispy-skinned, fluffy-centred tatties, and the cabinet of fresh, multi-coloured salads that you can either pile into them, have on their own or cram into a roll. Servings come in small, medium or large, but the small will satisfy all but the dangerously famished. It’s then a choice between the likes of spicy veg curry, Macsween’s haggis, curried wild rice with mango chutney or homemade humus. The traditional can still plump for (free-range) egg mayo or even beans ‘n’ cheese, but so much thought has been put into the alternatives you can’t help but feel that would disappoint them.
- High point: Handy late-night opening, particularly during the festival
- Low point: Limited seating and a generously filled tattie = undignified eating
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions
- Music on stereo: Eclectic and loud
- Capacity: 6
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Baked Potato Shop./5 from RSS feed of these comments