The Baked Potato Shop
- Telephone 0131 225 7572
- Seasonal times Open until 8pm from March/April, for the warmer months. Closes at 11pm during the Festival
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–6pm
- Average price Medium salad tray & juice £4.99 Small potato, one filling & juice £4.99 (set lunch); £7 (evening meal)
- Typical order Medium baked potato with chilli (£3.60)
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
This tiny, six-seat cafe bursts with character even when quiet. Posters covering everything from gypsy orchestras to tattoo conventions adorn the walls. Most of the trade is lunchtime tourists going up to the Royal Mile from Waverley, and a strong vegetarian and vegan clientele thanks to the shop's no-meat stance. The Baked Potato Shop's long-standing mission is to provide ‘the hottest tattie in town’, proving that a hot flavour does not need to be carnivorous. A small potato will satisfy most appetites, although medium and large options are also on offer. There is a tremendous choice of hot and cold fillings, the vast majority of which are vegan, and these delicious fillings can also be packed into a roll for a cold lunch on the hoof. A small range of snacks and salad are also available, plus a few cakes including a vegan carrot cake which, although could do with more punchy flavours, has its heart in the right place, just like this little cafe.
- High point: Generous portions
- Low point: Plastic cutlery prone to breaking
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions
- Music on stereo: Eclectic
- Capacity: 6
- Open since: 1983
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Baked Potato Shop./5 from RSS feed of these comments