Black Medicine Coffee Company
- Telephone 0131 622 2660
- Opening times Mon–Sat 8am–4.30pm; Sun 10am–4pm
- Average price £5.50 (lunch)
- Website www.blackmed.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The characteristic Black Medicine carved natural wood chairs and tables may not invite the possibility of slouching around for hours, but nevertheless bring an individuality and quirkiness that chain coffee shops often lack. Lunch is the standard selection of paninis, bagels and soups but with flavour-packed combinations that make them less run-of-the-mill and good value for money. Try the Black Forest ham with caramelised onion chutney, pesto, mozzarella and tomato panini. Sandwiches are served without salad or trimmings, but making up your five a day by downing a freshly made smoothie is far from a trial. Don’t be deterred by what can seem like odd seating arrangements: the turnover in the larger Old Town site is reasonably quick while the Barclay Terrace venue is in fact a pleasing rabbit warren of cosy corners and intimate nooks. The upstairs mezzanine overlooking Bruntsfield Links is perfect for people watching or lunching with a laptop.
- High point: Memorable smoothies
- Low point: Comparatively uninspired selection of cakes
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 45
- Open since: 2003