- Telephone 0141 334 4040
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri–Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–6pm
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £19 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.bothyrestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Few other restaurants in Glasgow wear their Scottishness quite as literally as G1’s The Bothy, tucked away down Ruthven Lane in the heart of the West End – see the waiting staff’s signature kilts for proof. Exposed stone walls and a rustic old chunky wooden fireplace add to the Highland hideaway feel, while the menu promises ‘traditional Scottish fayre and a warm welcome’. It’s all a bit shortbread tin, but it’s popular with tourists and visiting students and lecturers at nearby Glasgow University, and underwritten by a genuine commitment to local and seasonal sourcing, much as that same willingness to go the extra mile doesn’t always seem to extend to the preparation and presentation. The Cullen skink is a Scottish classic well done – thick, flavoursome and filling. The rump of Ayrshire lamb with sautéed potatoes’ weakness is in the serving – stacked in a bowl, the black pudding quickly becomes a gooey swamp mixed with the red wine jus. Still, the Braw Deal of two courses for £12.95 all day until 6pm offers braw value, while the two private dining rooms – the Scullery upstairs and the smaller Snug down – are a good shout for special occasions.
- High point: Garden is a great little sun-trap on summer evenings
- Low point: Service is brisk but staff seem spread thin
- Notable dish: Cullen skink
- Private dining: 24 / 8
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Post-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Indie/rock
- Live entertainment: Acoustic guitar music on Fri/Sat nights
- Capacity: 130
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2004
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- House wine: £16.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of The Bothy./5 from RSS feed of these comments