- Telephone 0131 477 8477
- Opening times Mon–Thu & Sun 10am–8.30pm; Fri & Sat 10am–9pm.
- Average price £20 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Website www.amber-restaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
Primarily targeted at visitors to the capital and its historic Old Town, Amber is something of a secret for locals unless they turn tourists in their own city. The name is, of course, inspired by the hues of the almost 400 different whiskies that line the walls of a classy yet casually comfortable dining room and bar. Haggis is inevitable as part of the unusual concept that is Scottish tapas. More interesting in this sampler selection of starters is inspirational cured herring, and tangy salmon with matching mousse. Beef, fish, game and herbs all come from known local sources of high repute which is reflected in the taste of main courses such as guinea fowl breast stuffed with venison chorizo or sirloin steak from the Tweed Valley and nourishing pots of traditional stovies or Cullen skink. Desserts include a chocolate delice which disappears without trace very quickly and there’s a good range of Scottish cheeses, which, like pretty much everything on the menu, can be washed down with whisky to match, knowledgeably selected by obliging staff.
- High point: Bespoke cheese and whisky pairing
- Low point: Limited wine list
- Notable dish: Pan fried fillet of hake with a white bean puree, kale with bacon and a garlic emulsion
- Private dining: 12/80
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: ambient; smooth jazz
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: 110
- Open since: 2002
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- House wine: £16 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Amber Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments