- Telephone 0131 556 2414
- Bar open Sun–Thu 9am–8pm; Fri/Sat 9am–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–5.30pm. [Afternoon tea: noon–5.30pm]
- Average price £15 (lunch); £25 Afternoon Tea (£40 Champagne Afternoon Tea)
- Website www.thebalmoralhotel.com
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Serving afternoon tea for over a century at Edinburgh’s iconic Balmoral Hotel, the Palm Court shows no sign of flagging. The shimmering Venetian chandelier and glass dome hover above neoclassical features and provide the stage for cake stands piled with traditional sandwiches, crisps and treats from the in-house pastry chefs. These include sweet macarons and a deceptively delicate hazelnut mousse cake. The scones arrive mid-service, freshly warmed through, and there is an added selection from a dessert trolley. Your actual tea (one of 20 on the extensive menu) is brewed and then theatrically re-poured at the table into fresh pots ensuring your last cup is as good as your first. Add a glass of champagne to start or finish with a bang.
- High point: An unhurried, traditional afternoon tea experience
- Low point: An expensive affair
The Balmoral’s sophisticated Palm Court Bar is to undergo a renovation and is reopening as a Tanqueray® No. TEN™ martini cocktail bar where customers can enjoy a modern martini cocktail experience.
The new styling is inspired by the Art Deco movement and recreates the chic atmosphere of the 1930’s martini cocktail bars when the drink first came into fashion. New features include a dramatic back bar display and black and white wall coverings - reflecting the sleek, art deco exterior of the Tanqueray No. TEN bottle. Ambient green lighting that echoes the iconic bottle colour will enhance the atmosphere in the evenings.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Private dining: Up to 20 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 188
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Live music
- Music on stereo: Lounge music.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 18
- Open since: 1902
- House wine: £24 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Palm Court./5 from RSS feed of these comments