This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 225 7069
- Food served Mon–Sat 8am–10pm; Sun 10am–10pm
- Pre-theatre times N
- Average price £8 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
This review is taken from the 2010 edition.
In April 2010, Monster Mash relocates a grand total of 15m up the road. But fans need not fear: the biggest change will simply be more space to spend your money. As 20 Forrest Road will see restaurant seating for 65, private dining for 25 and outdoor tables for 20, you will now be able to tuck into your sausage and mash in a pleasing range of locations. The simple but effective menu will remain the same, as will the opening hours. Local, grass-fed Scottish beef will fill your home-made steak pie, and free-range pork will make up your sausages. Takeaways will be a wallet-friendly £3–£4. The familiarly retro theme will travel to the new location, in both décor and food. The puddings sum it up: banana split, apple crumble and knickerbocker glory – pretentious no, fun yes. Similarly with the cheeky wine list: 'definitely sausage friendly' doesn't tell you much about the vino, but it will put a smile on your face, and that's what Monster Mash does best. [Not yet open in new location at time of going to press.]
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 6
- Private dining: Up to 25 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: The Arrow Rock Radio Station when available, otherwise 60s/70s/80s mix
- Capacity: 65
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 2003
- House wine: £11.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Edinburgh's Monster Mash becomes Mum's Great Comfort Food10 Jun 2010
Hot on the heels of Ashes to Ashes, a Conservative prime minister and not overlooking Marc Almond’s 25th anniversary tour, the 80s and 90s revival continues with the return of the old green and gold livery of Pierre Victoire to the streets of Edinburgh.
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Monster Mash./5 from RSS feed of these comments