- Telephone 0141 564 6464
- Bar open Tue–Sun until midnight
- Food served Tue–Fri 5–9pm; Sat noon–2pm, 5–9pm; Sun 5–9pm. Closed Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 5–7pm; Fri/Sat 5–6pm
- Average price £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.fannytrollopes.co.uk
Jump to comments (11)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Don’t be put off by the nudge-nudge, wink-wink name – when it comes to food, there are lots of good things going on in this compact little neighbourhood bistro. With a reputation largely built through word-of-mouth, locals and tourists alike flock to enjoy chef-owner Gary Bayless’s simple, good cooking and top-notch local ingredients. Advance booking is usually required. And with two sittings, two menus and daily specials, there’s plenty to choose from. Scottish fish and game have a strong showing. There’s a gorgeous Cullen Skink, a pigeon breast with parsnip, red cabbage and wine reduction and seared scallops with a smoked chorizo salad. A rolled shin of beef is meltingly tender, rich with garlic, thyme and rosemary and well matched by woodland mushrooms and potatoes. Sea bream is pan-seared and served in a light cream sauce with little mussels and spinach. Desserts may crepes with ice-cream or Orkney fudge cheesecake with raspberry coulis. Add in the convivial atmosphere and attentive service and it’s clear to see why Fanny’s is such a perennially popular option.
- High point: Excellent cooking with good honest ingredients
- Low point: No card payments
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening, soft rock, 60s/70s hits
- Capacity: 44
- Largest group: 44
- Open since: 2004
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
- BYOB: £5, £7 sparkling corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of Fanny Trollope's./5 from RSS feed of these comments