- Telephone 0141 552 6813
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–11pm; Sun noon–11pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.cafegandolfi.com
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This unique venue has the right formula for success – its trendy location, eco ‘Grand Designs’ sky-lit interior, food with thought and provenance paired with sophisticated, copious wines and whiskies ensure a cultured following. Food is weighted to Scottish smoked salmon and venison, Arbroath smokies, Haggis and Stornoway black pudding. Heart-warming Cullen skink has soft flaky fish, delicate smokiness and creamy richness. Among the diversions: Toulouse sausage and mash, New York pastrami on sourdough and Moorish spiced lentils with mezze. A cast-iron pot of sizzling hot king prawns packs in fresh chilli, mint and sunblush tomato goodness, keeping endorphins running high well into the mains. Atmosphere is casual and chatty. It makes for the ideal haven after a busy shopping trip (Pssst – dessert of baklava, Greek yogurt, pistachios and rosewater syrup is lush), a relaxed space for an aperitif pre-show or quirky venue for a special occasion. Keep a lookout for daily specials and monthly themed menus.
- High point: All stonebaked pizzas are £6
- Low point: Cocktails slip under the radar as fail to wow
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 36
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chilled out beats/folk/trad Scottish
- Capacity: 30
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 2002
- House wine: £19 per bottle