The Glasgow Curry Shop
- Telephone 0141 357 5280
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–10 30pm; Fri-Sat noon–11pm; Sun 1–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Available until 6.30pm, including over lunchtime
- Average price £5.80 (set lunch); £16.50 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £6.25 (thali selection)
- Website www.weecurryshopglasgow.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
One of Mother India’s offspring, the small dining room’s décor pays homage to Glasgow’s proud curry heritage. Despite it’s size, the layout cleverly makes use of the space and it doesn’t feel cramped. The menu is reassuringly small and populated with quite a few unusual choices. The cuisine is not specific to one region of India, and dosas from Southern India sit side by side with lamb achari from the North. There is pakora, of course, and as well as the obligatory haggis variety, they also serve a more interesting haddock, pea and potato version. The lentil cakes are large, a little on the dry side. Mains include Malabar cod which is not available on Mondays or Tuesdays as they pride themselves on getting fresh fish locally. It's a generous portion, as is the Ashton Lane beef with okra, where the meat is slow-cooked and melts in the mouth. The thali selection represents a good pre-theatre deal and is a great way of experimenting with the enticing menu at this rewarding curryhouse.
- High point: Dishes out of the ordinary
- Low point: Dessert uninspiring
- Notable dish: Malabar cod
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Halal options, Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop
- Capacity: 29
- Largest group: 29
- Open since: 2011
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
- BYOB: No charge Sun–Thu. Fri/Sat £2.50 corkage (They are licensed too)
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Glasgow Curry Shop./5 from RSS feed of these comments