This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 667 7010
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–2.30pm; Wed–Fri 6–9pm; Sat 6–9.30pm. Closed Sun. [Extended in Festival]
- Pre-theatre times Wed–Sat 6–6.45pm
- Average price £10 (lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £10.95
- Website www.homebistro.co.uk
Jump to comments (7)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Quite why owners Richard Logan and Rowland Thomson chose to homage the seventies with their charming bistro isn’t clear, though the wallpaper, trio of flying ducks and elongated wooden antelopes are endearingly quirky. But the nostalgia ends right where the cooking begins. The light, contemporary menu creates a bistro/café/takeaway hybrid which works well in this lively Southside location. Chef Richard clearly trusts the power of quality produce: a tomato and basil soup delivers knockout flavour from little other than its nameplate ingredients, as do several fresh, vibrant salads. The small, rotating selection of mains won’t always satisfy committed carnivores, but the open-minded are well rewarded. Mushrooms, almonds, rocket and pesto create an earthy, delicious pasta dish. An onion tart looks like quiche but floats like a warm cloud of cumin-scented heaven. Everything is home-made, including the only staple main – chunky fish fingers, with chips that stray nicely into baked-potato territory. Desserts include perfectly executed classics such as lemon drizzle cake, or toffee, ginger and marmalade ice-cream. From kitsch to kitchen, Home Bistro does things its own way: with panache.
- High point: Simple, healthy and delicious food
- Low point: Evening diners need to book
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Ambient
- Capacity: 22
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2003
- House wine: £15 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of Home Bistro./5 from RSS feed of these comments