- Telephone 0131 313 4404
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2pm, 5–10.30pm. Closed Sun.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5–6.30pm
- Average price £11.95 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.first-coast.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
For exactly a decade, First Coast has been an oasis of tasteful cheer in the relatively under-served area of Dalry. Prices have remained almost static for years, with the result that now they offer eye-poppingly good value for thoughtful, reliably good food. This is partly down to clever menu planning: even in winter, it’s dominated by reasonably light dishes with a good selection of salads and veggie options, like a very satisfying rotolo (kind of a pasta Swiss roll) filled with creamy, cheesy sauce, butternut squash and crushed amaretti biscuits. The warren-like space serves a variety of groups, from simple dinners for two, to big parties, and with monthly regional cuisine evenings keeping the menu fresh, this place could easily become the solution for all kinds of events. The drinks list deserves a mention for being concise, keenly priced and really cared about by general manager and wine-list collator Gordon Robertson, who is taking his Master of Wine certificate. Save room for pudding, always a highlight –- toffee and banana oat crumble is, in a good way, the breakfast you’d order if it were your last.
- High point: A spectacularly good early-evening deal
- Low point: A menu built more for contentment than electricity
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 15
- Private dining: Up to 22 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Mellow and eclectic
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2003
- House wine: £13.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Hector Macrae of First Coast on Reestit Mutton1 May 2009
It’s important to me to source quality Scottish produce. As a youngster I worked in a local fish factory in Skye and it was heartbreaking to see about 99 per cent of the langoustines and scallops being shipped abroad. Times are changing and chefs are…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 8 reviews of First Coast./5 from RSS feed of these comments