La P'tite Folie
- Telephone 0131 225 8678
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–midnight Closed Sun.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–3pm, 6–11pm.
- Average price £11.50 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.laptitefolie.co.uk
Jump to or comments
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
For 16 years La P'tite Folie has been part of Edinburgh's dining scene, initially in the city-centre bustle of Frederick Street and joined, ten years ago, by the venue that has come to overshadow the original, set behind a quirky Tuor façade looking out on the cobbles of more sedate Randolph Place at the West End. Any initial uncertainty you might feel in the small street-level ante-room on Randolph (the left hand route leads to spacious wine bar Le Di-Vin) dissipates on reaching the top of the stairs and discovering a light, bright, welcoming space. The informality of the French bistro food adds to that sense of ease: salad comes in a communal bowl, fish with a simple sauce and accompaniment, steak frîtes just as you'd expect. The lunch deal is £10.50 for two courses, and evening options tend to be heartier and richer, be it red mullet with pickled vegetables or calf's liver with wholegrain mustard pomme purée. Desserts or fromage are decently priced at £5 and £6 respectively.
- High point: Airy Randolph Place dining room is a lovely spot in the lingering evening light
- Low point: Airy equates to noisy when full
- Private dining: Up to 75 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 95
- Largest group: 95
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle