La P'tite Folie
- Telephone 0131 225 8678
- Opening times Mon–Thu noon–11pm, Fri/Sat noon–midnight Closed Sun.
- Bar open Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–3pm, 6–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–3pm, 6–11pm.
- Average price £11.50 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Website www.laptitefolie.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2014) edition.
A decade of unswervingly French service to diners in the West End has built a loyal following of patrons from business lunches to family gathering and romantic evenings in the fenestration-lavished upper dining room at Randolph Place. The kitchen remains inventive, not resting on old laurels. So while steamed mussels remain a frequent favourite, herb-crusted carpaccio of venison adds a wink of surprise to the starters. Pan-fried calf’s liver, so often absent from menus around town, sits proudly on celeriac and wholegrain pomme puree, while grilled fillet of sea bass is gently nestled in tagliatelle, crab and white wine cream. Tempting desserts may be out-manoeuvred by the loyal French cheese board, which given the serious wine list to accompany is perhaps unsurprising.
- High point: Consistently appealing menus delivered in a charming and unique setting
- Low point: Vegetarians deserve more attention from this successful kitchen
- Notable dish: The fish of the day on the lunch set menu
- Private dining: Up to 75 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Capacity: 95
- Largest group: 95
- Open since: 2003
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 11
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle