- Telephone 0131 556 5888
- Opening times Sun–Thu 11am–10pm; Fri/Sat 11am–1am
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–1am.
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri noon–10.30pm; Sat 11am–10.30pm; Sun 11am–-10pm.
- Average price £18 (lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.davidbann.com
Jump to comments (14)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
As relaxing as its romantic aubergine tones and colour-blocked walls are, diners could be excused for finding a meal at David Bann a tad confusing. A mixed message comes through its menu, which sees imaginative and elegant starters and desserts bookending more sustaining, traditional mains. Prices, similarly, are an unexpected treat if you assume they’ll match the fine-dining décor vibe: mains hover just above a tenner. The menu stays roughly static throughout the year, and makes inventive use of worldwide flavours alongside European classics. There’s a Thai-style fritter with banana chutney, or a superbly executed plate of silky mushroom ravioli and bright, smooth tomato and basil soup, given interest by a kick of smoke to the cheesy filling. The best of the mains is a fluffy, vibrant pink Dunsyre Blue cheese and beetroot pudding, though its partners of floury roasties and Savoy cabbage fall a bit flat. For adding a welcome touch of glamour to Edinburgh’s vegetarian nights out, David Bann is in a league of its own, but it would be great to see that sparkle across all three courses.
- High point: From bread to vegan ‘ice-cream’, everything’s made on site
- Low point: Welcome name-checking of Scottish ingredients, but a static menu suggests limited seasonal sourcing
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 13
- Private dining: Up to 45 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 80
- Largest group: 80
- Open since: 2002
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 13 reviews of David Bann./5 from RSS feed of these comments