- Telephone 0131 226 3131
- Food served Mon–Sun noon–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times until 7pm (or earlier if specials sell out)
- Average price £12.50 (lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price Varies - there are a couple of specials that change daily, so prices change regularly, and once it's gone, it's gone
Jump to comments (41)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
This split-level space is an exercise in sleek, functional mid-century modernism – a combination of whitewashed walls, wood, glass and metal proving perennially popular with Edinburgh’s trendier denizens. A prime Old Town location draws in a steady stream of tourists too, eager to bag a spot by the large rear windows which offer picture-postcard views of the castle. Offering some attractive early dining options, the efforts of the kitchen to craft and adapt dishes to suit the vagaries of British food calendar, rather than the other way round, mean that the food on your plate shouldn’t jar too much with what’s going on outside. Twice-cooked pork belly with honey-mustard pears successfully employs a hint of warming Asian seasoning, while an aromatic spiced plum tarte tartin with ginger ice-cream is a mid-winter wonder. Dishes don’t always quite click: sea bass fillet is cooked well, but the accompanying sweet and sour peppers border on insipid. Service can fray round the edges during busier spells, but a healthy assortment of wines (and the notoriously droll descriptions that accompany them) should ensure any additional wait you might encounter passes largely unnoticed.
- High point: Enjoyable, thoughtful food and drink and Scandi-chic surroundings
- Low point: Cheap glassware looks suspiciously like it came from a certain Scandinavian superstore
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Low level ambient
- Capacity: 110
- Largest group: 8
- Open since: 2002
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 22 reviews of The Outsider./5 from RSS feed of these comments