This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 226 7614
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am, Sun noon–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5.45–10pm; Sat noon–3pm, 5.45–10pm; Sun noon–3pm, 6–10pm. [Extended in summer].
- Average price £19.50 (set lunch); £44 (evening meal)
- Website www.oloroso.co.uk
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Borne by lift from the bright white office block entrance, you climb the last stairs to emerge in one of the best locations for a restaurant in Edinburgh. Stunning as the roof terrace is for a cocktail in summer, even on dark nights the panorama of lights outside is interesting. Inside, red and black décor creates a smart vibe. The menu is unashamedly biased towards meat, with an internationalist take on steaks and game. For starters, crunchy pickled vegetables are matched with meltingly slow-cooked pork belly. Deliciously soft herb croquettes are hidden in smooth celeriac, parsnip and apple velouté. A simply cooked breast of partridge comes with red cabbage and boudin noir, while garlicky quinoa shaped into a vivid green rectangle lifts the baked cod. Though there’s little for the lover of traditional puds, a range of alcoholic sorbets and rich sweet liquid dessert cocktails is offered instead and chocolate ice-cream is satisfyingly rich. For those who prefer a more savoury finale, cheese is served with a pile of wonderfully crisp, wafer-thin oatcakes.
- High point: Those oatcakes!
- Low point: Cheese not up to the standard of the rest of the food
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 30
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 85
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 2001
- House wine: £20 per bottle
Reviews & features
Tony Singh, chef proprietor of Tony’s Table and Oloroso, on Ugly Bread1 May 2009
Nothing beats freshly baked bread. The smell, the taste, the diversity – it is always hard to resist newly baked bread but it’s not always easy to find genuinely fresh, flavoursome products. In Scotland, we boast a small number of artisan bakers but one…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 7 reviews of Oloroso./5 from RSS feed of these comments