- Telephone 0141 204 2404
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–midnight; Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Mon–Sat noon–midnight; Sun 12.30–midnight.
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 17.00–6.30pm
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.barsoba.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The stylish City Centre branch of Bar Soba attracts a cosmopolitan mix of shoppers sipping wine, pre-clubbers enjoying unusual cocktails and diners looking for contemporary Asian food. All rub shoulders with ease as the bar area, with subdued lighting and a small array of funky seats, is separated from the dining area by the long glass bar. With no deviation in the menu at either location; sushi, tempura and Thai salad dominate the starters, for a more unusual flavour combination, start with salt and pepper squid – crisp and full of garlic, chilli and spring onion. Mains include the Japanese classic of chicken katsu curry – chicken strips are crisp and light, although the accompanying sauce could have deeper flavour and more punch. However, excellent lunch deals, all-night pre-theatre offers and student discounts keep the venue ticking over, while decent midweek drink offers keep the bar area buzzy all night.
- High point: Unusual yet delicious cocktails
- Low point: Menu can lack flavour variety
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Delivery: £2
- Private dining: 45 (downstairs)
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Live music, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chill out lounge
- Capacity: 120
- Largest group: 45
- Open since: 2001
- House wine: £8.95–£13.50 per bottle