- Telephone 0131 229 6660
- Food served Sun–Thu 5.30–10pm; Fri/Sat 5–10.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Sun–Thu 5.30–6.30pm; Fri/Sat 5–6.30pm.
- Average price £26 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £13.95
- Website www.mckirdyssteakhouse.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
In these days when food provenance is to the fore, McKirdy’s finds itself suddenly en vogue. It’s doing nothing new, of course, just continuing to offer red meat and haggis crafted by the family butcher. Here, they can tell you exactly where the meat came from and how the animals were prepared. They know how to cook it, too. Pork ribs come char-grilled, but meltingly soft inside. Ask for a rare steak and it will be bleeding under your knife: a rarity in Edinburgh. They’ll pan-fry your cut if you don’t want it char-grilled, and you can call ahead for their signature T-bone. Fresh flavours are the star here, so you might not need to choose from their eight sauces. Fish and chicken do sneak on to the menu, but they are merely a distraction from the matter at hand. Edinburgh may have a new wave of steak restaurants. Some have glitzier décor and smoother staff. The city, though, only has one that butchers its own meat. That McKirdy’s conjures up a decent crème brûlée and offers a bottle of Malbec for under £18 just adds to the appeal.
- High point: Steak, steaks and more glorious family butcher steaks
- Low point: Not much beyond the butcher's best for non-meat-eaters
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Private dining: Up to 8 covers
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Pop mix
- Capacity: 50
- Largest group: 34 (or whole restaurant by arrangement)
- Open since: 1998
- House wine: £14.90 per bottle
- BYOB: £3 corkage
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of McKirdy's Steakhouse./5 from RSS feed of these comments