- Telephone 0131 221 9323
- Opening times Tue–Sat 11am–11pm
- Food served Tue–Thu noon–2.30pm, 5–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.30pm, 5–10.30pm. Closed Sun/Mon (except if performance at Usher Hall/Lyceum). [Café open Tue–Sat 11am–late] [Extended hours in Fest.]
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Sat 5–7pm; Sun 12.30–3pm, 5–8pm.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.95 (£17.95 3 courses)
- Website www.zuccarestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments (27)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
As veterans of the Edinburgh restaurant scene, Zucca’s owners know the importance of playing to their strengths. That means keeping theatre goers happy with snacks from a restricted menu in the downstairs bar while the restaurant upstairs focuses on high-quality food and efficient service at attractive prices. Posters showing the big-name actors who have appeared at the Lyceum Theatre next door underline the importance of this market. However, events such as wine dinners are helping to create client loyalty. Diners who are not heading for a show have a chance to cogitate over a well-balanced menu that features starters such as a char-grilled vegetable salad, uniting flavours redolent of Tuscan sunshine, or carpaccio, which combines Scotch beef with Italian components to create a flavour-packed dish. When it comes to mains, pork belly is served nestling on Tuscan beans infused with a rich tomato flavour, while poached sea bass comes with Sicilian sweet and sour aubergines. And when it comes to dessert it’s difficult to ignore an indulgent raspberry and white chocolate crème brûlée.
- High point: Restaurant buzzes before a show
- Low point: Still working to attract non-theatre goers
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- Private dining: Room in Lyceum - 30 people
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2007
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 17 reviews of Zucca./5 from RSS feed of these comments