- Telephone 0131 668 2917
- Food served Mon 6–9pm; Tue–Sat noon–2.30pm, 6–10pm; Sun noon–2.30pm, 6–9pm [Extended in Festival].
- Average price £12.90 (set lunch); £18 (evening meal)
- Website www.blonderestaurant.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Generous platefuls, unfussy service and a cheery neighbourhood vibe make this bistro a pleasant choice to while away a weeknight, and the large street-level windows and hurried comings and goings of the area’s students and young professionals provide effortless distraction. However, while the functional pine furniture and neutral colour scheme might sound chic, Blonde lacks that extra touch of individuality that makes a house a home. Busier evenings bring a cheery hum, aided in part by a thoughtful, reasonably priced wine list, adding warmth and colour. Like the interior, the food could do with a gentle caress to capitalise on its potential. Bold flavours and the odd off-kilter pairing certainly make for an intriguing menu, but the kitchen’s efforts to produce smart, balanced dishes don’t always succeed. Well-cooked Moroccan-spiced chicken is overwhelmed by a fiery jalapeno sour cream, for example, while venison and chocolate casserole is pleasant enough but reneges on the promised cocoa hit.
- High point: Welcoming local bistro that’s not afraid to try new things
- Low point: Lacks consistency
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- Private dining: Up to 14 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Nothing
- Capacity: 70
- Largest group: up to 70
- Open since: 2000
- House wine: £12.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood watch: Newington, Edinburgh27 May 2011
A guide to the ares of the Scottish capital dominated by Edinburgh University
What’s it like? Okay, we’ll get the inevitable out of the way first. There are a lot of students living in Newington. And while we know some of our readers aren’t that keen on students, their presence does imbue the area with a certain bounce and life…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 5 reviews of Blonde./5 from RSS feed of these comments