- Telephone 0131 555 2546
- Food served Mon–Thu 5–10pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm; Sun 12.30-8pm.
- Average price £9.90 (set lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.internationalstarters.co.uk
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
Scottish? American? Asian? Mediterranean? If you can’t decide what to eat, then International Starters could be the solution. The idea is to pick ‘starters’ from anywhere on a sprawling global menu covering many bases, ideal for trying different dishes without committing to a full main course and great for groups. The concept is clever, but standards sometimes slip. Perhaps with such broad culinary brushstrokes this is inevitable: fulsome fajitas are fine as are the perennially popular crispy haggis balls and the mushroom and black pudding bites but the Peking duck is poor and the ‘Goan discovery’ something of a misnomer. Sometimes the novelty is enough – bite-size fish'n’chips served in their own paper poke for example – but the promised platter of mini desserts are less miniature and more pieces of a whole. However, the novel theme and party spirit of the place should paper over the cracks. Be warned, though, that both the price and size of dishes vary significantly, so don’t get carried away when you order. You can always come back for more!
- High point: A novel, fun approach to a meal out
- Low point: Standards sometimes let down enticing menu descriptions
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 8
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Chart hits
- Capacity: 100
- Largest group: 100
- Open since: April 2000
- House wine: £13.90 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 3 reviews of International Starters./5 from RSS feed of these comments