- Telephone 0141 334 9818
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–2.15pm, 5–11.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–2.15pm, 5pm–midnight; Sun 4.30–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Thu 5–7pm
- Average price £6 (set lunch); £15 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £9.90
- Website www.chowrestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Chow specialises in fast, good quality Chinese food. Its informal atmosphere and efficient service make it perfect for couples grabbing a quick bite, while larger groups of family and friends can linger. Fortunately, staff are expert in judging which type of diner you are. An extensive menu features all the dishes you would expect, and the customary combo sharing starter is nothing short of a feast. With spring rolls, sweet and sour ribs, chicken satay, wun tuns, prawn toast and crispy seaweed, it could suffice as a meal in itself. But there is plenty still to enjoy. Slices of beef cooked with ginger and spring onion are soft and tender, with the ginger infusing the meat. A side order of spicy Singapore noodles, stir-fried with spring onions, peppers, bean sprouts, ham and prawns, make the perfect accompaniment to sweeter dishes such as crispy shredded chicken. The same noodles can be ordered as a main course and, like the starter, could satisfy any appetite. With generous portions and distinctive flavours, Chow offers satisfying dining at very reasonable prices.
Classic dishes with contemporary flourishes and aromatic flavours are the hallmarks of this busy restaurant and delivery outfit on Byres Road. Salt and pepper ribs are finger-licking sticky in a bright honey and teriyaki sauce while yuk sung offers chilli-flavoured minced chicken which creates a perfect contrast when spooned into crisp, cool lettuce parcels. Char siu pork noodles are filling and succulent served with a scatter of tender vegetables and sliced roast pork infused with yellow-bean sauce. Allow twenty minutes for the freshly prepared steamed dim sum which is light, juicy and worth the wait. Chow also does a good value ‘half and half’ takeaway lunch special – two half portions in one container.
- High point: Relaxed and informal
- Low point: No room for intimate chat
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 3
- Delivery: Daily 5–11.30pm; £1.50 (west end), £2.50 (wider area)
- Private dining: Up to 28 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu
- Music on stereo: Funky instrumental
- Capacity: 45
- Largest group: 22
- Open since: 2000
- House wine: £13.90 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Chow./5 from RSS feed of these comments