The King's Wark
- Telephone 0131 554 9260
- Opening times Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10pm; Sun 11am–4pm, 5–10pm. Dining room: Mon–Sun 5–10pm
- Average price £14 (lunch); £14 (evening meal)
- Website www.thekingswark.com
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
With a history dating back to 1432, this is one of Leith’s most venerable buildings. Although it has only been in its present guise for a comparatively short 22 years, its stone walls, hardwood floorboards, open fire and dark wooden furniture lend it an enjoyably anachronistic feel. This sense of permanence is helped by current owner Leslie Currie, who has been front of house for 13 years, and is now ably abetted in the kitchen by her partner, Michael Greig. It’s a team that works admirably, with the kitchen producing an inventive menu that includes fantastic seafood options and plenty of game, as well as unusual cuts of more conventional livestock – the likes of a crispy lamb rib salad showing Michael’s devotion to nose-to-tail eating, while more adventurous carnivores can even arrange a pig’s head banquet. Thankfully, however, despite its popularity as a place to eat, it still caters for those seeking a fireside pint or even one alfresco, overlooking the Water of Leith.
- High point: Warm welcome and inventive menu
- Low point: Can seem a little too food-focused for those purely seeking a pint
The award winning 15th Century King's Wark nestles in the heart of Leith's famous Shore area. Renowned for our innovative use of Scotland's larder, we use only the best seasonal produce from sea, land and air.
From our ever-changing à la carte restaurant menu, bar meals and daily specials boards; to seasonal tasting menus and adventurous celebration feasts, such as a roast pig's head banquet, we offer something for every occasion. Our bar stocks a wide selection of fine wines, malt whiskies and traditional cask ales. And, on the weekend, we serve a variety of hearty breakfasts and sumptuous Sunday Lunches.
Text supplied by third party.
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Private dining: Up to 24 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Easy listening/light rock
- Capacity: 24
- Largest group: 24
- Open since: 1991
- House wine: £14 per bottle
Reviews & features
The best breakfasts in Edinburgh29 Mar 2012
The finest cafes, bistros and restaurants in the capital for a morning meal
Broughton Delicatessen 7 Barony Street, 558 7111, broughton-deli.co.uk Breakfast served: Mon–Sat 8am–3pm; Sun 11am–3pm. What does this place not do well? A great deli, healthy lunches and superb, made-from-scratch breakfasts from morning until 3pm…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 16 reviews of The King's Wark./5 from RSS feed of these comments