The Pompadour by Galvin
- Telephone 0131 222 8777
- Opening times Closed Sun/Mon.
- Food served Tue–Thu 6.30–10pm; Fri/Sat 6.00–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Tue–Thu 6.30pm–7.30pm.
- Average price £58 (set evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £30
- Website www.thepompadourbygalvin.com
Jump to or comments (1)
This review is taken from the 2013 edition.
Michelin-starred chefs Chris and Jeff Galvin shoot for an Edinburgh star at their Pompadour, secreted away in a sanctum of the Caledonian Hotel. It is a fittingly fine dining room, with castle view and a giant chandelier centrepiece among the Victoriana. Not all will relish the refinery, but the setting is splendid, and service impeccable. Whether you opt for the menu gourmand or go a la carte, you’ll be treated to amuse bouches like truffley smoked haddock arancini, then a chilled garlic velouté with duck and truffle cream. At every turn, in every dish, there are touches that please and surprise. To start, there is salmon with capered tartare sprinkled with mini croutons, decorated with a slinky coil of pickled cucumber, scallop beignet and crisp quail’s egg. Artichoke barigoule embellishes the already wonderful rabbit and ricotta ravioli. Assured mains include roast monkfish, and venison loin with turnip in curly fries form and ketchup-like red cabbage puree. A complimentary ‘pre-sert’ cleanses the palate before a generous cheese plate or artful desserts like pistachio cake, white chocolate cream, and a blood-orange duo of sorbet and jelly.
- High point: Haute cuisine in a grand setting
- Low point: Beware of drinks at five-star-hotel prices
- Private dining: Up to 18 covers
- No. overnight rooms: 242
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: jazz
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 75
- Open since: 2012
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 16
- House wine: £26 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of The Pompadour by Galvin./5 from RSS feed of these comments