- Telephone 0131 229 7953
- Food served Tue–Sat noon–2pm, 6–10pm. Closed Sun/Mon.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 6–7pm.
- Average price £13.50 (lunch); £23 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £16.50
- Website www.sweetmelindas.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Edinburgh still has its tucked-away places, the neighbourhood joints quietly making loyal locals’ tummies happy week after week. Sweet Melindas is one such place. It’s the front room of a tenement so it feels like you’re stepping into someone’s home. It’s a few doors down from Eddie’s hallowed Seafood Market, meaning the freshest fish is literally on their doorstep. This, plus the fact that practically everything is homemade, using some serious kitchen skills, means it punches well above its weight. Desserts are spectacularly homely – a gigantic wedge of Seville marmalade sponge (yes, with homemade marmalade) is something Granny would have been proud of, in turn sweet, bitter and comforting. Mains show skilful handling: fillets of bass and bream are beautifully cooked, served atop a tangle of spaghetti with crab and pecorino. Wee grilled sardines reward the patient picking of bones; fried squid is feather-light and the soy, ginger and lemongrass sauce on the hake is ‘everyone’s favourite’. Exactly the kind of place you want to live next door to. You should probably move.
- High point: Lovingly crafted wine list
- Low point: Popular dishes do sell out
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Laid back jazz
- Capacity: 35
- Largest group: 40
- Open since: 1997
- House wine: £16.50 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Sweet Melindas./5 from RSS feed of these comments