- Telephone 0131 315 2226
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Food served Mon–Sun 11.30am–9.45pm.
- Average price £18.50 (set evening meal)
- Website www.channings.co.uk
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Karen Higgins is that rare thing among Edinburgh restaurants: a female chef in charge of her own kitchen. It’s her food that attempts to brighten the rather gloomy dining room of this Comely Bank hotel. Take a squint at the short menu and it’s all simple and modest, treading a fine line between keeping hotel guests happy, while attracting diners looking for something worth going out for. So don’t expect any cheffy pyrotechnics worth a tweet. This is not high-concept eating, or ‘more Scottish than thou’ culinary flag-waving. Cream of celeriac soup with a sprinkling of pine nuts is typical, as is sweet-cured salmon with a dab of herring roe. But if a well-cooked supreme of chicken with dauphinoise tatties, a smear of carrot puree and buttered kale floats your boat, tuck in. Fillet of Ayrshire pork with fondant potato, creamed cabbage and mini-balls of black pudding is another straight-down-the middle option – and none the worse for it. Desserts don’t depart from this path, and include a small ramekin of very well-pureed apple crumble, cooled by brandy ice-cream. You get the picture.
- High point: Simply does it
- Low point: Lights, please – it would be good to read the menu
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Private dining: 2 rooms: 20 / 60
- No. overnight rooms: 48
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 50
- Open since: 1990
- House wine: £15.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Channings Restaurant./5 from RSS feed of these comments