- Telephone 0131 555 2255
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–2.15pm, 5–1.30pm; Sun 5–11.30pm.
- Average price £9.95 (set lunch); £23.50 (evening meal)
- Website www.britanniaspice.co.uk
Jump to comments (14)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
To say there’s a nautical air to Britannia Spice is an understatement. Sails and brass fittings adorn the walls and the waiters – sorry ‘crew’ – are decked out in white uniforms with braided epaulettes. The feeling is one of luxury, rather than booze-cruise, and there is no faulting the speed, efficiency and friendliness of the ship’s company. Once you’ve been escorted to your table, drinks, poppadoms and starters arrive in quick succession. Of the appetisers, the tandoori lamb chop is gloriously smoky and charred from the grill, its spice balanced with a dash of lemon juice. A main of garlic chicken is coated in a rich, dark sauce, where the sweetness of the roasted garlic blends well with the tart, sweet tandoori chicken. The Himalaya rui khumbi pairs a gently spiced and crisply char-grilled trout with a tangy, fruity sauce and some particularly fine sautéed mushrooms. Desserts are of the stock, frozen variety but all in all this is a voyage well worth taking.
- High point: The fluffy yet crispy naan breads are excellent
- Low point: Ubiquitous branding gets a bit much
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 2
- Delivery: Free on orders over £15
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: Indian music
- Capacity: 140
- Largest group: 160
- Open since: 2000
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 12 reviews of Britannia Spice./5 from RSS feed of these comments