- Telephone 0141 334 8560
- Food served Sun–Thu noon–10.30pm; Fri/Sat noon–11.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4pm–6.30pm
- Average price £5.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11.95
- Website www.dimaggios.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Di Maggio's is nearing its 30th year in Ruthven Lane, a statistic attributable both to its family friendly atmosphere – there's a play area especially for kids – and consistency. Located on a cobbled lane a stone’s throw from Byres Road, the west end branch of Di Maggio's suitably fits the area's bohemian profile. A slightly circuitous first-floor entrance leads to a dimly lit and low-ceiling dining area, giving the impression of a more compact restaurant than its 135-seater capacity suggests. Framed prints of Life magazine adorn the walls – a charming feature which ties in well the brand's commitment to Italian-American dining. The menu is a tasteful hybrid of these, with US staples such as smoked ribs and Louisiana hot wings partnering a classic selection of pizzas and pastas. Special mention must go to a New York striploin – supplied by Perthshire-based butchers Simon Howie – suitably charred and paired with impressive Tuscan roast potatoes. Desserts are anything but lightweight, with apple pie and cinnamon waffles, quintessential dishes of an American diner.
- High point: In-house magician
- Low point: Service can be stretched owing to deliveries
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Delivery: £1.50 within 1mile radius; £2 if further.
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Chart and soul music
- Capacity: 135
- Largest group: 36
- Open since: 1983
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle