- Telephone 0131 668 4999
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–9pm.
- Average price £10 (lunch); £11 (evening meal)
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Still leaning to the bohemian with its mismatched wooden tables and bright Spanish tiles, the Metropole now aspires to a smarter bistro feel, both in decor and with its menu. This is a cafe that certainly covers all bases and would be equally at home hosting a weekday working lunch, or families for a relaxed Saturday breakfast – and loved-up couples can tete-a-tete in the evening in one of the many booths. Chocolate chilli cheesecake and other inventive desserts mingle with the usual tray bakes to keep everyone happy. The evening menu is eclectic, ranging from steaks and burgers to the slightly more adventurous flavours of grilled halloumi with sweet potato wedges and tzatziki. For lunch the predictable line-up of paninis is happily substituted for more imaginative morsels like home-made falafel or yellow split pea and spinach dahl with crusty bread. The owners claim to aim for a high standard of food at affordable prices and seem to hit the mark.
- High point: Vegetarian options are much more than an after-thought
- Low point: Some of the walls could do with a lick of paint
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 7
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: Can book entire restaurant for events.
- Open since: 1995
- House wine: £15.70 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of Metropole./5 from RSS feed of these comments