A Room in the Town
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0131 225 8204
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–2.30pm, 5.30–10pm; Sun 10am–3.30pm, 5.30–8.30pm
- Average price £13.95 (set lunch); £22 (evening meal)
- Website www.aroomin.co.uk
Jump to comments (6)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
A Room in the Town is the original ‘room in’ restaurant, and is regarded with much affection by many locals who have frequented it for over 15 years to sample reasonably priced local produce at breakfast, lunch and dinner. The dining room has a cosy feel and is simply furnished with hanging baskets and Scottish landscapes painted by local artists. The atmosphere is relaxed and friendly, and full of chatter so can be noisy at the weekends with large groups booking in. Some options impress more than others: seared fillet of sea bream served with a chorizo, caper and orzo salad with orange and basil pesto is a stand-out dish, and equally tasty are Scottish salmon and North Sea cod fish-cakes with aioli. Vegetarian choices are less notable: frittata and a vegetable and goat’s cheese filo parcel are lacklustre. Faith is restored with a scrumptious flourless dark chocolate cake with praline drizzle. If this place wasn’t popular enough, the BYOB policy (with suggestions of local shops to grab a bottle) makes it even more so.
- High point: Good food in a relaxed atmosphere
- Low point: Can be noisy
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 12
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening mix
- Capacity: 66
- Largest group: 66
- Open since: 1998
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
- BYOB: £5 corkage
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of A Room in the Town./5 from RSS feed of these comments