- Telephone 0131 556 6032
- Bar open Licensed till 1 am on Fri and Sat
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–10pm; Fri noon–11pm; Sat 10am–11pm; Sun 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 4–6.30pm; Sat 4–5.30pm
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £20 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £11
- Website www.smokestack.org.uk
Jump to comments (5)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Smokestack underwent an extensive makeover in spring 2012. Gone are the blood-red walls and restaurant-style dining, replaced with stripped-back pale grey decor, bright lights and all-day food service. The bright and breezy tone extends to the menu and drinks list which convey both the choices available and the restaurant’s ethos in an engaging and accessible way. Smokestack styles itself as a steakhouse, specialising in Scottish Borders beef (dry aged for 21 days) cooked exactly to order and served with your choice of sauces or butters. If steaks and burgers don’t float your boat there are also salads, fish and sandwiches to choose from. All desserts are home-made, with the Baileys cheesecake proving to be a stunning slab of light, silky-smooth cake. Members of the Sustainable Restaurant Association, they pride themselves on reducing their carbon footprint wherever possible. Smokestack offers comfort food with a conscience but without an overdose of worthiness or pretension.
- High point: Range of home-made desserts shows both competence and ambition
- Low point: Starter options a little tired
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10 (includes one champagne)
- Private dining: Up to 26 covers
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Classic indie
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 26
- Open since: 1996
- House wine: £13.95 per bottle
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 4 reviews of Smoke Stack./5 from RSS feed of these comments