Montpeliers Bar and Brasserie
- Telephone 0131 229 3115
- Opening times Mon–Sat 11am–1am; Sun 12.30pm–1am
- Bar open Mon–Sat 9am–1am; Sun 9am–1am.
- Food served Mon–Sun 9am–10pm.
- Average price £10 (set lunch); £17 (evening meal)
- Website www.montpeliersedinburgh.co.uk
Jump to comments (2)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Montpeliers is the dining equivalent of high street shopping – accessible pricing, visited by many for a quick shot of style, but not the place for a unique or quirky night out. That said, it does what it does pretty well: half bar, half tightly packed restaurant, decked out with fashionable bold-print wallpaper and comfy sofas, it’s always buzzing. It’s part of a chain that includes Tigerlily and Ricks, and like those places it is well attended by both students and local young professionals. Everyone comes for the longstanding two courses for a tenner deal, from lunch and dinner menus of safe brasserie staples. A starter of salt and pepper squid seems underwhelmingly small, however, and a watery French onion soup gives the impression of inconsistency in the kitchen. Braised lamb shank is a big improvement, tender and filling, and there is some decent ingredients sourcing going on, but on balance it feels like somewhere to come for the well-stocked bar, for the gossip, and for the chance to be seen wearing those new shoes rather than for stand-out food.
- High point: Every night feels like a Friday night on George Street
- Low point: Every night feels like a Friday night on George Street
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 18
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Mainstream mixture - varies depending on time of day
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 60
- Open since: 1992
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Montpeliers Bar and Brasserie./5 from RSS feed of these comments