- Telephone 0131 226 2977
- Food served Mon–Thu noon–11pm; Fri/Sat noon–midnight. Sun 12:30–11pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun noon–7pm.
- Average price £12.95 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.95
- Website www.bar-roma.co.uk
Jump to comments (1)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Family-run Bar Roma is a place to watch waiters conduct crowds of obliging clientele bellow ‘Happy Birthday’ to their nearest and dearest. It is a bustling, friendly environment, decorated with classical kitsch and even boasting an olive tree. The wide space comprises long tables to the front with couple-friendly spots near the kitchen. The menu has a spread of the usual antipasti but the execution of these starters can be hit and miss. The restaurant does come into its own with the main courses, however. Skip the pizza and go for interesting pasta dishes like the Italian sausage with brandy and nutmeg or a spread of secondi that will fulfil even the most ardent meat lover’s wish. There are touches of traditional Italy in the desserts: the coppa al amarena, a generous cup of soft home-made ice-cream with earthy marinated cherries, is a particular success. Chef-Patron Mario Cugini also knows his wine. A list of bin ends is on offer and for the oenophiles there may be a hidden gem to accompany the food and fun.
- High point: The selected bin end list provides some real wine finds
- Low point: Not an intimate venue
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 9
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables
- Music on stereo: Modern Italian
- Capacity: 185
- Largest group: 90
- Open since: 1981
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of Bar Roma./5 from RSS feed of these comments