- Telephone 0141 553 1577
- Food served Mon–Sat noon–10.30pm; Sun 4.30pm–9.30pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sun 3.30–6.45pm
- Average price £12.50 (set lunch); £21 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £14.50
- Website www.citymerchant.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Established in 1988, City Merchant's reputation as one of the best fish restaurants in Glasgow is as much down to owners who pride themselves on the freshness of their seafood as it is to the resulting cuisine that is undeniably impressive. A decadent starter of six oysters Rockefeller sets the scene, made with thermidor sauce, spinach and breadcrumbs. The splash-out seafood platter (£32.95 pp) consists of langoustine, scallops, oysters, mussels, shell-on prawns and crab claw, with super-freshness enlivenend by a choice of dressings. For meat-lovers there are dishes from ‘the Highlands and the Lowlands’ including tender whisky-marinated breast of chicken with a haggis potato scone, served with a rather frugal helping of clapshot. For dessert, the Baileys crème brûlée is wonderfully rich, cooling as you eat down from the hot sugar crust. With great service and imaginative décor – a large fish tank in the entrance and a beautiful stained-glass marine scene on the wall – this is a lovely place to dine.
- High point: Lobster fishcake with a lovely citrus chilli mayonnaise
- Low point: Seafood this good gets pricey
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 10
- Private dining: Up to 16 covers
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening
- Capacity: 120 (+ 45 in function suite)
- Largest group: 200
- Open since: 1988
- House wine: £17.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 1 review of City Merchant./5 from RSS feed of these comments