Blue Moon Café
- Telephone 0131 556 2788
- Opening times Mon–Thu 11am–1am; Fri/Sat 11am–1am; Sun noon–1am
- Food served Mon–Fri 11am–10pm; Sat/Sun 10am–10pm.
- Average price £12 (lunch); £12 (evening meal)
- Website www.bluemooncafe.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Now well into its third decade in business, the much-loved Blue Moon on a Broughton Street corner must be doing something right. Maybe it’s the friendly, laidback atmosphere and genuine sense of welcome. Maybe it’s the low-key decor and gay-friendly vibe. Heck, maybe it’s just that they play Lady Gaga on the stereo. Whatever the appeal, it’s bolstered by a menu that is as reliable as it is comforting, where nachos and fish-cakes meet enchiladas, fish 'n’ chips and steak sandwiches. Worth particular mention are the homemade burgers, cooked to order and with a plethora of toppings to make it your own. There are daily specials, healthier salad options and well-priced wines by the bottle – not to mention some seriously good homemade desserts including vanilla cheesecake, seasonal crumble and caramel apple granny. For a lunch with friends or a dinner after a hard day’s work or shopping, you could do a lot worse than the trusty Blue Moon.
- High point: Comfort food in a comforting atmosphere
- Low point: Decor could do with a refresh
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Provides: Children's portions, Children's high chairs
- Music on stereo: Chart pop
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 30
- Open since: 1986
- House wine: £11.95 per bottle
Reviews & features
Neighbourhood Watch: Broughton Street, Edinburgh9 Jan 2012
A guide to Edinburgh's hip gay hub
What’s it like? A street full of bars, restaurants and delightful eateries nestled underneath old tenement flats. Ideal for stuffing your face full of food and hitting a pub with friends just a stone’s throw from the centre of the city. Where’s it…
Comments & ratings
Average rating 2 reviews of Blue Moon Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments