The Big Blue
This restaurant has ceased trading.
- Telephone 0141 357 1038
- Opening times Mon–Sun noon–midnight
- Bar open Sun–Thu noon–9pm; Fri/Sat noon–10pm.
- Food served Mon–Fri noon–3pm, 5–10pm; Sat/Sun noon–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Fri 5–6.30pm
- Average price £7.95 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £8.95
- Website www.bigbluerestaurant.co.uk
Jump to comments
This review is taken from the 2012 edition.
A perennial student favourite and something of a West End institution, the Big Blue endures in its picturesque location by the Kelvin. Portions are hearty enough to satisfy diners with big appetites. The fried calamari with lemon is a tasty starter and the Caprese salad is nicely presented with a drizzle of basil oil. Chicken Milanese with chunky chips is enjoyable underneath the crunchy batter, while the steak pie is robust honest grub. Well-known favourites pack the pizza and pasta list and there will be something to suit all palates. A fruits of the forest cheesecake is a creamy and enjoyable end to the evening’s dining, proving too big to finish. No surprises but more importantly no letdowns either. With rare riverside dining and drinking, plus decent deals for lunch and pre-theatre, the Big Blue remains a dependable option for locals and beyond seeking an affordable, easy meal out, or simply a few beers and cocktails by the river when the sun's shining.
- High point: Crunchy calamari
- Low point: Tired-looking salad with the main
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 5
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: Easy listening, light chart pop & jazz.
- Capacity: 60
- Largest group: 25–30
- Open since: 1994
- House wine: £13.60 per bottle