- Telephone 0141 636 6955
- Food served Mon–Sat 10am–10pm.
- Pre-theatre times Mon–Sat 5–6.30pm
- Average price £9.50 (set lunch); £16 (evening meal)
- Pre-theatre price £12.50
- Website www.battlefieldrest.co.uk
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
The Battlefield Rest enjoys a high reputation as a reliable local. It has a large and loyal clientele that it has built over 20 years, so at the weekend it can be very busy The menu is thoroughly old-fashioned Scottish-Italian fare, with dishes ranging from chicken breast stuffed with haggis to comforting lasagne, perfect for a family meal with older relatives who don’t like surprises. But, be warned, the pastas are served at nuclear temperatures. Among the starters, crostini salsiccia is fresh and garlicky, sliced sausage on crisp bread with leaves and parmesan shavings. Vegetarian antipasto has grilled aubergines and courgette, unfortunately cold from the fridge, along with tasty olives and sundried tomatoes. Pizzas include calzone Battlefield, which is incredibly meaty, stuffed with beef, bacon and Stornoway black pudding cooked down to a thick gravy, along with cloying mozzarella. But perhaps the most impressive thing about the Rest is the building, a 100-year-old tram rest complete with octagonal clock tower and pleasingly shabby fin de ciècle décor.
- High point: Good value comfort food
- Low point: Some tables uncomfortably close together
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 14
- Provides: Gluten-free options, Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access, Pre-theatre menu, Outdoor tables, Free wi-fi
- Music on stereo: easy listening, Dean Martin etc.
- Capacity: 75
- Largest group: 20
- Open since: 1994
- House wine: £14.50 per bottle
Reviews & features
Down under - Glasgow's South Side10 Sep 2009
The West End might shout louder and jangle its designer bracelets more ostentatiously, but for its many residents, the gigantic, sprawling mass of the South Side is the true heart of Glasgow. As many local historians and geographers have observed…
Comments & ratingsPost a comment
Average rating 2 reviews of Battlefield Rest./5 from RSS feed of these comments