The Fruitmarket Gallery Café
- Telephone 0131 226 1843
- Food served Mon–Sat 11am–4.30pm; Sun noon–4.30pm. [Coffee & cakes: Mon–Sat 11am–5.30pm; Sun noon–4pm].
- Average price £13 (lunch)
- Website www.fruitmarket.co.uk
Jump to comments (3)
This review is taken from the current (2013) edition.
Playing host to world-class work, the Fruitmarket Gallery is a well-regarded contemporary art venue incorporating a popular café and a terrific bookshop. One café wall displays past and present exhibition posters and, although tables are tightly packed, staff remain friendly and efficient. The inventive menu is updated regularly to reflect the current show and caters for all appetites and dietary preferences. Soups, platters, wraps and salads are created from seasonal produce, and the counter of homemade sweet treats is a beauty. The blackboard of daily specials might include a stunning puff pastry tartlet of field mushrooms with pea and mint purée on carrot and turnip mash, perhaps followed by a huge slice of courgette, cranberry and pistachio cake. Standards are high here and the delicious food keeps on coming.
- High point: Tasty and inventive food
- Low point: Can be a race to grab a table
- Number of wines sold by the glass: 4
- Provides: Vegetarian options (at least ¼ main courses), Children's portions, Children's high chairs, Wheelchair access
- Music on stereo: nothing
- Capacity: 40
- Largest group: 9
- Open since: 2004
- House wine: £14.95 per bottle
Comments & ratings
Average rating 3 reviews of The Fruitmarket Gallery Café./5 from RSS feed of these comments